Tuesday 11 September 2012

Your word is sweet unto my taste

I love the Word of God! How wonderful that we have the Word of the living God! The Bible isn't just some stories of history, dead letters on a page that we can read for inspiration. No! the Bible is the very breath of God! 2 Timothy 3:16 tells us that all scripture is God-breathed, how amazing is this! 
In my experience I have noticed how easy it is to come to the Bible in a religious way, reading it out of duty rather that coming to the Word to touch Christ. In John 5:39,40 the Lord said "You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that testify concerning Me. Yet you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life." We can come to the Word in a dead way, we can read the Bible and completely miss the Lord, this is terrible, and is not a good experience, instead we should come to touch the life in the Word, to touch something of Christ. I have experienced how easy it is to go back to my default setting of searching the scriptures without touching the Lord, out of myself I keep trying to read the Bible in a different way and by doing this I fail time and time again, but praise the Lord His life is in me! Out of myself it is difficult but by allowing Him to work in me and to bring me to His living and wonderful Word I can touch my Lord! He brings me to His Word every day and He nourishes me with all the riches it contains. I have realised how wonderful His Word is, every page is filled with nothing but Christ. 
A practical way to touch the Lord in the Word is pray-reading, you may wonder what this is; it is exactly what it sounds like; praying what you read, we can pray the Words of God back to Him, this is very sweet and enjoyable. There is a good booklet on pray reading that helps explain it, if you would like to read it just follow this link 

2 comments:

  1. I can fully confirm this - AMEN! The Bible is a book of life, and we need to come to it to EAT and TASTE by praying over the Word of God! I love to "chew on the Word" - when I'm out and about, especially in the morning, while waiting on the bus, I love to get some verses and pray over them quietly, opening to the Lord... yummy, the words are so rich to our taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I tend to forget HOW to read the Word sometimes. Thank you for the reminder :) God bless you and keep you.

    Lisa
    http://www.beautyafterashes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete